Wilkes Central High School Athletics


Eagles blank Sauras in rain-shortened game


Wilkes Central Head Coach Jim Caudill felt his team was a little out of sorts early in Wednesday night’s contest. Despite the slow start, the Eagles rebounded nicely to post a 2-0 win against South Stokes during a weather-shortened contest in Moravian Falls. Just as the teams were heading into halftime, lightning forced officials to suspend action for 30 minutes. With the threat of inclement weather to hit the area, officials ended the match. “We were in disarray because there was some confusion about what time (originally slated to start at 6 p.m. but started at 5:30 p.m.) the game played, so we really didn’t get to go through our warm-up,” said Caudill. “I’m a big fan of being prepared on getting warmed up and ready to play and it showed, it took us awhile to get into the flow of things.” The Eagles nearly went ahead in the 11th minute, but Jesus Adan’s free kick attempt was just off the mark. As the season goes on, Caudill wants to see his players convert more goals off set plays similar to the Eagles’ first goal. “We just need to polish and refine and get better so that we’re all on the same page,” Caudill said. “When we get into those situations, sometimes you can get beat during the run but if you can be good on those free (kick) sets and other plays and put one in the back of the goal, that gets the ‘W’ and that’s what we’re going to have to do. “The defense is really coming together as a group and they understand what we’re trying to do.” Adan redeemed himself in the 21st minute when he took a pass from Jack Privette on a breakaway and sent a rocket past South Stokes’ goalkeeper Ben Bowen. Privette was on the scoring end of the second Wilkes Central (4-0) goal in the 28th minute when he took a pass from Will Caudill. As Privette was approaching the goal, Bowen came out to defend and lost his footing, allowing Privette to send a shot into the top right-hand side of the goal. Despite his team coming away with the win, Caudill would have liked to have played the entire 80 minutes. The Eagles return to the pitch next Wednesday when they travel to 2A power Forbush. “We’re better off than we were three weeks ago but we still have work to do and I really would have liked to play the whole game,” said Caudill. “On the scoreboard, we may be a little bit better than they are but they hustled the whole match and that’s a good training situation for us and we get a lot of people in. “The 4-0 win we had down there, we played everybody and we played a lot of freshmen so I’m not looking for us to run scores up, I’m looking for us to get quality play.” The Sauras, which host East Surry on Tuesday, had their best scoring opportunity in the 15th minute on a point-blank shot from Thomas Carroll but the attempt was deflected out of play by Wilkes Central goalkeeper Michael Davis.