Wilkes Central High School Athletics


Central, North Surry battle to tie


The North Surry Greyhounds scored the breakthrough goal in the 12th minute of their match with Wilkes Central Tuesday evening at Kulynych Field at River’s Edge Park and just moments later, the Eagles returned with an equalizer. And that’s where the score line stood for the remainder of the night, as the two teams fought to a 1-1 draw. “That’s how we’re supposed to respond to that,” Wilkes Central Head Coach Jim Caudill said about recording a quick equalizer. “Instead of burying our heads, we’re just going to dig down and find that goal and try to find another one. This was an entertaining game to watch. It was really a tactical battle — where are we going to put our pieces.” Alexis Cortez gave the Greyhounds (6-0-2) the short-lived lead after receiving a pass from Jonathan Cardoso on the right side of the box in the 12th minute. Cortez sent in a low shot that banked off the right post and behind Wilkes Central keeper Michael Davis. The Eagles (5-1-1) responded as Jesus Adan sent a high ball into Kevin Moreno in the middle and Moreno flicked it on, chipping the lone defender between him and the goal. Moreno moved around the Greyhound defender and hit a soft volley over the head of the North Surry keeper to bring the Eagles back to level. Both teams had several chances later in the half and throughout the second half but neither defense was willing to budge. For the game, the Greyhounds fired off 25 shots with nine of them on target, but only a handful of them really troubled Davis, who finished the night with 10 saves. “We have done better but I thought Wilkes Central did a good job on us defensively,” North Surry Head Coach Phil Jordan said. “They had all of our passes covered, well-planned. We pretty much did the same thing and it turned into a defensive struggle although I think we had more shots on goal than they did. But sometimes our kids press and we don’t follow up shots on the back side like we need to.” The Greyhounds had a pair of great chances in the second-half that bookended a long stretch in which they dominated possession. The first came in the 58th minute when Cardoso blasted a shot that Davis tipped and then had to scramble back to stop it from crossing the line. North Surry’s other dangerous look came in the 77th minute on a free kick where Davis came off his line but didn’t come up with the ball. Eric Olson cleaned things up with a big clearance to put out the fire. Wilkes Central had nine shots in the second half but just one of them came between those two North Surry chances. The Greyhounds controlled possession in the midfield for most of the half, but that worked into Caudill’s game plan. “I hear the fans are yelling, ‘Pressure, pressure,’ but our game plan was a little bit different,” Caudill said. “That’s all pretty, the possession is pretty, but its not productive and I was telling the boys how pleased I was with them that they had the composure to let them have it 45 yards out and let them pass it around. “Yeah, at points we’re going to pick our time to step up and compress and we did.” Wilkes Central’s Jack Privette created a couple of dangerous chances late for the Eagles, including a free kick attempt that was deflected out for a corner, but he wasn’t able to make the Greyhound keeper sweat. The match, which was played at River’s Edge park because the field at Wes Steele Stadium has recently been over-seeded with rye, was the second in a string of three games in three days for the Eagles. They will play again this evening at North Wilkes in a game that was originally scheduled to be played in Moravian Falls but was moved because of the same field maintenance.